QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Does your company provide pick-up and drop-off at my hotel in Porto?
Yes! Our main goal is that you don’t have to worry about a thing during your stay with us. So we pick you up and drop you off at your accommodation in our 4×4 vehicle. We can pick you up from the airport, apartments, or your friend’s house, as long as it is in Porto. Pick-up south of Douro is not possible because it adds at least one hour more to the tour’s total.
- I have a family of seven, including my children and their grandparents. Can your tour accommodate all of us together?
Yes! Our 4×4 has special seats for children and eight seats available in total. The vehicle is fit to accommodate you and every member of your family. All our hikes are at an easy level, and our guides are prepared to take care of children and elderly people, so don’t give up on your idea of exploring Peneda-Gerês National Park with the whole family. Think about this as an option for a family day during your stay in Porto!
- How should I dress for this tour?
The most important thing to wear is shoes! These should be comfortable for hiking. Please, no flip-flops or heels. Swimsuits/shorts are recommended in summer, and a towel as well.
- How can I explore Peneda National Park on my own?
You can take a bus, departing from Porto to Gerês National Park. In the villages, you can try to hike some trails (be aware that some of them may be restricted and you may need a special license) or find a local company that can take you to the beginning of the trails.
If you decide to go with Oporto Adventure Tours, you don’t need to worry about transportation. We look after you from the beginning until the end of your journey.
Don’t forget that Oporto Adventure Tours is the best and easiest way to discover the greatest trails in Peneda National Park. We are a not a typical tourism business; come with us and you can see for yourself.
- Does your company go to Peneda-Gerês National Park all year round?
Yes, we do! Nature always has different beautiful sites to see that will surprise you. During the fall/winter season, you can experience the amazing brown colour of the landscapes and the power of the waterfalls. The spring/summer season will also surprise you, since you can go swimming in amazing lagoons and feel the powerful smell of flowers.
All year long, we visit small villages where you can meet locals and discover the other side of Portugal.
- What level of fitness is required for hiking during your tours?
Easy/moderate level. The sound of water and the amazing smell will follow you on your way. Our tour is small enough (eight people max.) to allow you to go at your own pace.
- What is the best time of year for hiking in Peneda-Gerês National Park?
It depends on the aim of your visit. If you would like to swim in the lagoons, it’s only possible from March to October. On the other hand, if your idea is to go walking, discover new places (and people), and relax, you can also do it in winter season.
So you can go whenever you want, knowing that Peneda-Gerês is always a great choice!
- What's the weather like in Peneda-Gerês National Park?
In the winter, you can get some rainy days, around 20%, and snow about five days a year on the highest levels of the mountain. The temperatures range between 32ºF (0ºC) and 50ºF (10ºC).
Spring and autumn are mild with some rain and temperatures going from 46ºF (8ºC) to 73ºC (23ºC).
During the summer, you have a minimum average temperature of 64ºF (18ºC) and a maximum of 86ºF (30ºC).
- What is the best vehicle to take to Peneda-Gerês National Park?
An off-road vehicle, of course! The others can go faster, but we can go everywhere.
The only way to get to the best places in Gerês is having a 4×4 vehicle and a special license to go there.
- Are your tours recommended for families?
Yes! We have also special discounts. and we can do private tours for your family if you want to. Children and elderly people are welcome.
- What makes Oporto Adventure Tours stand out from other companies?
Oporto Adventure Tours works together with local communities to provide development for everyone. With this synergy, we help to preserve the traditions and revive some already lost. Also, our guides are handpicked from the finest. and each one has a different background, helping each other to improve.
- I’m a vegetarian… Do you have special meals for me?
Yes. We have a wide variety of dishes that can satisfy your needs (even if you are vegetarian/vegan/lactose intolerant/etc.).
- What does my lunch include?
All the traditional foods from North Portugal.
Roasted chorizo, olives, caldo verde, Vinho Verde, codfish dumplings (a batter, deep fried, of potato, onion, parsley, egg and of course codfish), homemade corn bread, punheta de bacalhau (salted codfish with olive oil and onions – the Portuguese sushi), mountain cheese, pica-pau (pork diced together with linguiça – a very thin and spicy sausage – dipped in a spicy tomato sauce), melon with ham, pastel de nata, coffee and tea, and local drinks.
The lunch is in a panoramic restaurant from Gerês, where only the locals and Portuguese tourists go… normally to eat what you will eat.
- How does Oporto Adventure Tours support eco-tourism?
A part of the amount you pay goes straight to Ermida’s community. Our goal is to help locals finde resources to support themselves and to preserve the forest.
This community assists the local economy, creating new jobs for young people. With your help, we can assure sustainability for life on the countryside for generations to come.
- What kind of wildlife can I see in Peneda-Gêres National Park?
If you are lucky you can spot an Ibex (mountain wild goat), or a wolf, but it’s really very difficult. Butterflies are a must, and you can spot lizards are everywhere, specially from spring to autumn.
Wild flowers bloom everywhere from spring to autumn, and they are so tiny that you have to pay attention not to step on them. Walking the same trail everyday, you can spot different kinds blooms. There are a variety bushes all over the National Park, and some are very famous because you can make herbal tea with them. Hipericão and Carqueja are the most famous, but you can find more.
- What is the minimum and maximum age that can go on a tour?
From 0 to 80!
- Do you do private tours?
Yes! Fill out the form on our contact page to get in touch with us about a private tour.
- Best outdoor proposal for team building from Porto?
Rafting, kayaking, traditional cooking workshops in the villages, hiking, canyoning, you name it – we have it all.
If it’s outdoor or in the mountains, we can do it, and we always have a solution. For your company, school, friends, bachelor, and hen parties, we are there for you.
- Best bachelor and hen parties in Porto?
Canyoning, rafting or our Gerês tour are perfect activities for a bachelor or hen party.
Along with your friends, you will have plenty of fun with us, and at the end of the day, we will make special recommendations for your evening in Porto and tell you about the best Clubs in town.
Ask us and we will help you with the preparations.
- What is the main difference between Oporto Adventure Tours and other companies that visit Peneda-Gerês National Park from Porto?
We were the first ones to do it, the first company to believe that Gerês National Park is worth visiting.
We are known by our satisfaction levels, as you can check on TripAdvisor.
Our philosophy is that people are not tourists, people are people, just like us, who enjoy traveling and nature. So our guides are not the typical tourism guides; they are friendly people who love nature.
Oporto Adventure Tours is the only company that has a license to visit some off-road trails in special places in Gerês.
We are mostly known by our quality, safety, versatility, and ability to provide amazing experiences, whether you join our tour alone, with family, or with friends.
We are passionate about what we do, and our work just makes sense if at the end of the day you can say to us: “It was the greatest day during my stay in Porto.”
- What happens if someone gets hurt during your tours?
All our guides have first aid training and are always equipped with a first aid kit.
- Do you do tours on rainy days?
Yes! We know enough people in Gerês that will open their own doors for us and let us go inside of their houses to keep ourselves cosy. However, we try our best to not book your tour on rainy days. We choose trails where the rain impact is milder.
- What are the minimum and maximum number of people allowed on your tours?
Our slogan is: If someone wishes to explore Gerês during their stay in Porto, they will do it. The minimum is two people and the maximum is eight.
- Do you have special discounts for people who book more than one activity?
Yes, we do.
- What can I expect not to find on your tours?
- We never stop in souvenir stores or any type of shops, and our guides will not try to sell you anything. We enjoy nature, we don’t like shops, and in our tour we do what we love to do.
- There aren’t alcoholic drinks provided besides those available during lunch time.
- Our guides won’t deal with you like tourists; they will relate to you like friends.
- We don’t take you to crowded places (in Peneda-Gerês National Park). In our sites, we can have more than one group of people visiting, but usually we don’t like noisy spots because we love the sound of nature.
- We have always a plan B in case of rainy weather, vehicle problem, or, in the worst case scenario, someone getting hurt… We have a plan B to cover everything that might keep your day from being as perfect as you wished.
- Are canyoning and rafting dangerous?
Everything is dangerous if you don’t follow the rules. All our activities are surveyed by professional guides certified by the proper authorities. They will be sure that you are always safe and having fun.
- Are your tours available in French, Italian, or Portuguese?
The official language of our tours is English. If you want a specific language, you will have to ask us for a private tour.
- What type of insurance would we be covered for in case of an accident?
You will have two insurances covering the group: the company’s Liability one and a personal insurance. That’s why we always ask for your full name and dates of birth before going on our tours.
- When should I book a private tour?
1) If you cannot swim or you are not comfortable inside water.
Our tours consist of periods of hiking followed by baths in the lagoons, so if you cannot enjoy this part, it will be better to design a tour for you!
2) If you like to hike more than one hour straight.
Our tour is an introduction to Gerês national park and all it has to offer, but is not meant to be a dedicated hiking tour.
Our objective is to show you the most special spots in just one day, and for that to happen we need to use the 4×4 and shorten the hikes. If you want long hikes, we need to design a private tour.
3) If you don’t want to share the car with other people.
You will spend the day with people you don’t know (max. eight people per car), from different countries, cultures, and languages. Our experience tells us this aspect is a positive thing and creates a nice atmosphere and an overall good feeling. But if you don’t feel comfortable with that, there is no problem. You can book a private tour.
4) Physical condition.
The 4×4 can take us lots of places, but it can tiring since comfort is not its best quality. Our hikes, although short, can be become a big challenge for people with heath problems, specially in some areas with inclination. Consider whether this is comfortable for you before entering the normal tour, as it can affect the experience of the whole group. In this case, we recommend a private tour.
- What are your terms and conditions?
1) Oporto Adventure Tours is not responsible for any items left in the vehicles nor liable for delays due to traﬃc or weather conditions.
2) The company is closed on January 1 and December 24, 25, and 31. We do not guarantee full availability for these days, and in the evening, we do not operate.
3) The realization of the activities is subject to the existence of technical conditions and favorable weather. If the activities are canceled, you will be offered the possibility to make a new reservation, having the right to indicate a new date, but always subject to weather conditions and availability of the respective day. If the customer incurs in expenses or losses regarding a cancellation on the day of adverse weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances unrelated with Oporto Adventure Tours, the latter cannot be held responsible for the same.
4) We have a 10-minute waiting tolerance at the meeting points; if you’re late or lost, please call us. Be sure you give us the right number in case we need to call you.
5) Smoking or alcoholic beverages are not allowed on the vehicles. Frequent stops for sightseeing and meals are made, which will provide the participants the opportunity to smoke and drink (moderately) while oﬀ the vehicles.
6) If you would like to make a change to your booking, please contact us by e-mail.
7) Oporto Adventure Tours cannot be held liable for accidents resulting from carelessness of the participants or their disregard for their guide’s instructions.
8) Reservations made by phone or e-mail will only be considered valid after all relevant information is gathered (name, birth dates, and pick-up location) and a confirmation email is sent by Oporto Adventure Tours stating all the conditions for the tour.
9) The photo and video service is an extra offered to the clients. Oporto Adventure Tours will not be responsible for its quality or for any problems/accidents that may occur to the cameras and that may destroy or ruin these photos and videos.
10.1) It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure they are in good conditions of health (physical and mental health, etc.) to perform the contracted activities.
10.2) In case of doubt, please contact us. We can guarantee that we will do everything possible to make any client with some kind of physical limitation to enjoy our activities properly. To this end, we request that any such restrictions are mentioned before the time of purchase/reservation so that we can take the necessary preparations to meet the needs of those clients.
10.3) There are some restrictions in specific activities such as the canyoning tour:
• Minimum age allowed: under 18 only with permission of parents / guardians (the responsibility of the contractor);
• Maximum age admitted: not applicable
• Minimum height and weight: 30 kg | 135
• Maximum Weight and height: 115 kg | 210 cm
11) We incentivize responsible tourism: To keep the places that we visit clean, collect all the garbage produced during the tours and respect the local people and their routines.
12) The tour is considered valid with both parties agreed with these terms and conditions.
13) We are a registered company, Da Company LDA, NIF: ….. RNAAT: ….. with all required insurance coverage and all the requisite licenses for our activity.
1) In case of cancellation with at least 48 hours in advance, the full value of the reservation will be refunded.
2) In case of cancellation with at least 24 hours in advance, half of the value of the reservation will be refunded.
3) In case of cancellation with at least 12 hours in advance, no refund will be given.
1) We give full refunds in case of vehicle mechanical failure that incapacitates the tour to fulfill all the destinations agreed.
2) We will not offer a refund due to problems with our photo and video cameras.
DEPOSITS & CANCELLATION FEES
1) If a tour is booked by a free-sale operator but is not possible to be fulfilled by Oporto Adventure Tours (due to overbooking, minimum number of people not met, incapacity of the company workers and/or vehicles), Oporto Adventure Tours will try to present always an alternative. In case the client does not want or does not have the possibility to take another tour and/or another date, the client will be 100% refunded.
2) The payments can be made with cash, PayPal, or bank transfer (the receipt or proof of payment has to be sent by email)
1) Oporto Adventure Tours reserves the right to make images and video coverage (with sound) of the clients during these activities. Thus, except indicated otherwise by writing from the clients prior to the activity, the participants in the activities give all the rights and authorizes the use of photos and videos collected during the activities and the periods before and after the same for placement on the website and social networks, to be used for marketing and advertising purposes of the company only.